Saturday, August 8, 2015

Flight and Dubai

After our self inflicted torture AKA flying, and losing my phone at Singapore airport, we arrived in Dubai at around 5 am in the morning.   We really need to fly in the point end of the plane I think!  Actually we did manage seven seats between the four of us one the first leg of the journey, so that was good.   My little misdemeanor with the phone was quickly solved...I had just realized I had left it behind when a very kind security man delivered it onto the plane.   Thanks to RTO for suggesting I keep a card in the cover with my name on it.   He knows how careless I can be .







Dubai was covered in smog, dust or heat haze, whichever you care to name it.  There is just  one skyscraper after another, and a great deal of building going on.  After a morning rest in our hotel, we took a private car to the Burj Al Arab where we enjoyed a most delicious afternoon tea.  There were six courses, and this creme strawberry was the first one.   We couldn't quite do  justice to all the courses, the food was exquisitely presented, and lots of it.  


The Burj is a most magnificent building, having celebrated its 15th birthday earlier this year. It has been outdone in size now by the Burj Khalifa, which absolutely towers over everything else in Dubai at over 800metres.

We found our way to The Dubai  Mall, which boasts 1000 shops, and outside is the famous Dubai fountain.  Many folk were out and about shopping, and stopping to watch the fountain which comes on every thirty minutes, and dances to music for two or three minutes.   It's quite spectacular...the large building on the right in the background is the Burj.

After wandering around the shops for an hour or so, we jumped in another taxi and went back to our hotel, worn out and ready for bed.  The heat is draining, it's reaching about 45 degrees in the day, and only dropping to 35 or so at night.  


















2 comments:

  1. Glad you got your phone back, that would have been a very bad start. I had my details in my phone too but lost my unidentified camera! Your next leg will be an easier flight I hope, and hopefully Paris will be milder weather. Looking forward to the next blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a good idea with your name on your phone.a lucky start :) I have also heard it's a good idea to have the first photo on your camera card being of a piece of paper with your name and contacts on it. Then if you lose a phone ( or you interact with a thief with some heart,) you may at least get your photos back. I know I'd love the dancing fountains , but not sure about the heat :)

    ReplyDelete