Tuesday, April 23, 2013

My Mum turned 100!


The long awaited day finally arrived! Mum always said she would like to live to be 100, but around fifteen years ago, she changed her mind ...too late...our days are not numbered by ourselves , and she has reached that amazing age. It's all a little hard to believe actually.

In the week leading up to her birthday, she received congratulatory letters from Queen Elizabeth, our Prime Minister Julia Gillard, the Governor General, the local MP, the State Premier, and the Mayor of Monash. All but one of these persons are women!
Talk about history in the making, and a sign of the times.








This basket of 100 stunning roses was presented to Mum by the Mayor of Monash.

On the day of the official celebration, friends and rellies came from far and wide. I think the final number was about 95. A great time was had by all, lots of laughs, lots of photos, and of Mums direct line descendants, and all but two grandchildren and four great grandchildren were present.




I think the small sadness on the day for Mum was the fact that two of her beloved children have predeceased her. Nevertheless, my remaining sister and brother and myself were happy to don t-shirts telling all and sundry that our Mum is 100.





We had a limousine to take us to the venue that I found hard to climb into! I am not sure how mum managed, cause I was the second person to clamber in, and she was the last, but I imagine she needed a little hand up.




Brother John gave us a nice speech, thanking us all on behalf of Mum, and with a big breath, she managed blowing out the candles.

And here we all are .........including HM Queen Elizabeth......









And these are the blood rellies, with Ron and Phil sitting in for Lyne and Annie.


Happy Birthday dear Mum, we will have another celebration next year for 101!

Location:Castlemaine,Australia

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous23/4/13

    What a special milestone for your mum and to have shared it with her love ones in a wonderful way. I couldn't help thinking about all the events and changes she has seen.
    I had a smile as I read the blog and a ‘happy tear’.
    Time to start planning for next year, you have a high bar to reach :)

    ReplyDelete