Saturday, April 13, 2013

A new quilt beginning 2

This week I have been working on the new quilt. Stack and slash is a really good method of making quick blocks that are very easy and fit together well, although I did have to unpick several times. It's so easy to veer off that 1/4 inch seam, even when using a 1/4 inch foot on the sewing machine.




This is the centre of the quilt. I used most of the layer cake squares, just leaving out the brightest red ones, to be used in the first border, along with the matching jelly roll pieces. In this method, I simply stacked four pieces of fabric together, slashed them through, and sewed them together again, moving the top piece to the bottom of the stack before sewing. I repeated this three times, so each piece of fabric is cut three times and resewn, making the multi colored blocks you can see in the picture.




Here is the centre block with the red border around it. That was enough for one day.

One of the advantages of sewing is that I can go on with my studies, by listening the the bible online whilst I sew. I don't catch every word, but it does go into my brain.
As I am repeating OT 2 this term, it's work I have done before, so I am relying on my almost non existent memory to help me.





These are the jelly roll strips that I am going to cut up for the next border of the quilt.

Stay tuned for the next blog.







Posted from another day in Paradise

Location:McCoy Manor

4 comments:

  1. snap! I started a new stack & slash this week too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must be a case of great minds etc etc ...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous13/4/13

    As a non-sewer Im realy impressed by the amount of work that goes into a quilt. I love the colour matches :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is so much work that it has prevented me from playing our drawing game :). The colours are in a range by designer Riley Blake, and are not colours that I would have put together, but I think they are just great, and very appropriate for an 11 year old

    ReplyDelete